Thursday, August 13, 2009


I followed a facebook game to do the following:

Think quick! List your top 15 films. Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen movies you've seen that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes.

So here's my list:

I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING
My favorite film. Period. (nod to Laurie!)

APOLLO 13
I just eat up this celebration of ingenuity, technology, team work, and real heroism.

SOME LIKE IT HOT
Funniest film ever made.

THE GODFATHER
One of my favorite American tragedies.

QUIZ SHOW
My other favorite American tragedy!.

SPIRITED AWAY
I think this is the prettiest animated film I've ever seen

SENSE AND SENSIBILITY
Oh,my! Jane Austen adapted by Emma Thompson and filmed by Ang Lee! Plus a romantic turn by Allan Rickman! Perfection!

THE REMAINS OF THE DAY
I am blue for about two days after every viewing of this beautiful story of duty, loneliness, and love. I always go back for more.

WHEN HARRY MET SALLY
Kemper and I went to the movies to see this about five times when we were dating. "... when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

GOSFORD PARK
Gorgeous. Funny. Heartbreaking. I watch it whenever I get the house to myself.

THE FUGITIVE
I don't know what it is about the this movie, but I can't resist it.

SPLASH
This is why I love Tom Hanks."All my life I've been waiting for someone and when I find her, she's... she's a fish."

THIS IS SPINAL TAP
This is the movie that frames my college life. We watched it so much we could recite whole scenes...and frequently did.

SIXTEEN CANDLES
My teen 1980s. Thank you, John Hughes.

GROUNDHOG DAY
This is a perfect little movie. Harold Ramis and Bill Murray usually make a misstep somewhere. But not this time!!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

The Curios Case of Benjamin Button ;)

Silence of the Lambs
Lawrence of Arabia
Brokeback Mountain
Sophie's Choice
Saving Face
Fargo
The Man from Snowy River
Grey Gardens
No Country for Old Men
North by Northwest
Dead Calm
Ken Burns' Baseball
Lost in Translation
Amelie
Star Wars

That was fun! Thanks!

You gave a mighty fine list. I share your #1 and its source. :)

Nancy said...

What? No Goodfella's?

DAN BUCK said...

(Shannon, that emoticon saved my respect for you.)

Before reading your list (but after reading the rules of the game, I made my list...)

QUIZ SHOW - Look at us overlappin'! (it's my clear number one)
THE HUDSUCKER PROXY - Best, funniest Cohen brothers film ever (Not counting the mezzanine)
WAITING FOR GUFFMAN - a bit broad and somtimes crule, but glorious.
ON GOLDEN POND - Sentimental, sure, but Fonda is so amazing in it.
ARTHUR - A long time family favorite. The one my whole family quotes.
THE ELEPHANT MAN - A life-changing experience for me.
THE INSIDER - Some people get tired of Pacino's schtick - not me.
SPIRITED AWAY - Miyazaki's masterpiece in my opinion and I've seen ten of his films.
THE TRUMAN SHOW - I cry at the same place in this deceptively light film.
IN AMERICA - Kicks my ass with every viewing.
PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES - The perfect comedy. John Hughes' best.
THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS - I have an irrational love for Wes Anderson and there's not one of his films that I don't enjoy. Each time, I'm delightfully surprised by his distinct style. I still think his best film is on its way.
MAGNOLIA - Just brilliant.
ADAPTATION - God, I love Charlie Kaufman. SYNECHDOCHE, NY might be better but I've only seen it once.
DEAD MAN WALKING - This is what a real Christian looks like.

Films that would've made it without the "First fifteen to come to mind list": Gosford Park, I [HEART] Huckabees, Lost in Translation, Harvey, The General, The Sixth Sense, Harold and Maude.