Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Childhood Memories

Over dinner tonight the whole family was trading memories of favorite childhood TV shows. Even though the youngest member of our household is 10 years old, he has enough distance from the "old" shows he used to watch (BOB THE BUILDER, THE WIGGLES, BEAR IN THE BIG BLUE HOUSE) to participate!

The 16 year old reminisced about SESAME STREET, BIG COMFY COUCH, BETWEEN THE LIONS, and (yes, it's true!) BARNEY!

I bring this up because EK and I both share special memories of one particular 1970s show. In fact, we both decided that it formed our love for social studies, geography, and culture. And it probably also made us politically and socially liberal!

So, who else remembers THE BIG BLUE MARBLE??

4 comments:

Shannon said...

That is 91 seconds of some kind of hippie strange in that clip. I feel cheated by my childhood trapped in an ultra Republican family in one of the reddest states in the country because Blue Marble is completely foreign to me (maybe I'm too old for it?) but looks like something I would've appreciated.

My other point is. You. Are. Weird. And I totally mean that as a compliment!!!75!!

DTB said...

Beloved Hippie,

If I ever find full episodes (DVD boxed set, please!) I will share them with you!

:)

WI_Dilettante said...

Let me just do a quick scan of the 5 1/4" floppy disk where I stored the 1970s. (The 1980s file is totally corrupted and inaccessible.)

Looks great, but I didn't really watch TBBM. My favorite '70s shows were The Waltons, The Rockford Files, and the CBS Saturday night trifecta: The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, and The Carol Burnett Show. (Crap, I'm old.)

There's only one show that I was obsessed with as a kid and I'm not sure what it says about me: Dark Shadows.

As a kid I somehow managed to read loads of books, play hours of baseball, basketball, and football, and still watch tons of TV -- mostly movies: Adventure Theatre on Friday, Shock Theatre on Saturday, Mystery Theatre on Sunday, Weekday Matinee after school, and Million Dollar Movie after midnight.

Every so often I did a little homework, too.

Anonymous said...

Just saw this post and had to tell you that one of my friends has been married over 20 years to a guy she met through her Big Blue Marble pen pal! They were pen pals for years, then my friend, Lynda, went to visit the PP and met the PP's cousin, Dave. The rest is history. :)