Tuesday, December 23, 2014

War Time Christmas * What we have been watching

Here at War Time Christmas Cottage we really love movies. I've mentioned that we have watched Shirley Temple's STOWAWAY, Sonja Heine in IT'S A PLEASURE, the terrifying HOLIDAY INN,  and Rogers & Astaire in THE STORY OF VERNON AND IRENE CASTLE.  Great film history education!

Here is a list of some of the most popular movies screened thus far:

Several Abbott and Costello films, including BUCK PRIVATES (1941).  They have been my favorites since childhood and am delighted that my kids love them, too.  This is due in no small part to the influence of their Uncle Derek!

SHERLOCK HOLMES and THE VOICE OF TERROR (1942)  Did you know that Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone) worked for the war effort? He did!

The delicious Judy Garland confection, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944), which is also a Christmas movie by virtue of giving the world "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."

CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT (1945) which opens with the sinking of a US destroyer by a German sub and ends with comedy and romance; it reminds me of the WWI plays I study in my research.

The sublime Powell and Pressburger film (staring Wendy Hiller!),  I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING (1945) which also happens to be of my top five all-time films. 

We all really enjoy typical Christmas movies such as MIRACLE ON 34th ST., IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, A CHRISTMAS STORY,  CHRISTMAS VACATION, and ELF but none of those have been on our menu this season. We can binge on them after Dec. 25!





No comments: