Saturday, September 6, 2008

Friday Night Lights


I attended my first ever Texas high school football game last Friday night. Does it surprise you that I had a really good time? 'Cause it surprised the heck out of me.

I went to the game to watch the marching band perform--my roomate Grassy is in the color guard and performs at all the games. But I stayed the whole time and watched the game. And you know what, it was fun.

It's not the very first football game of my life. I watched a good deal of Redskins football with my folks back in the 1980s (we lived outside of DC in those days) and I even attend a few 'Skins games at the old RFK stadium. I always liked yelling "Get him!" to the defense. But to be honest with you I only get about half of the rules of football. And I don't know the names of most of the positions. The only current pro players I know are Peyton Manning and Brett Favre (he's still playing football right?). So it really did surprise me that I had such a pleasant experience watching a whole live game without benefit of replays, loads of graphics, or announcers to explain the game progress.

That being said, I have to confess that I felt like a fraud sitting at the game. I felt like an observer in disguise to study the rites of another culture. Or like a guest at the religious service of an unfamiliar and slightly confusing church. Please don't misunderstand--I don't dislike football fans; some of my best friends are ardent football lovers. I just feel like an outsider to the whole activity. I guess its too late in my life for that to really change. I plan to go back to all the home games--my girl will be performing at them and I can't resister her!--and I hope to develop greater knowledge of the game. But I suspect this will always be a slightly odd experience for me.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

It doesn't surprise me that you had a good time! I think we theater folk appreciate ritual, especially any ritual that sparks emotion. Sounds like high school football to me.

But my burning question: she's in the color guard! Oh happy day! What's does she do? Flag? Rifle? Please say rifle. I twirled rifle in high school and really miss it.

p.s. I'm not embarrassed to admit that I just figured out last season what "1st & 10" means. Chalk it up to living in Steeler-nation.

Shannon said...

Go Grassy!

Football's one of the great guilty pleasures. Enjoy the season and keep us updated.

And for the record, Favre no longer plays football...at least not in the reality Packers fans inhabit...