Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Less

I have been feeling a very strong urge for less. I look at things that I own and don't understand why they are here. Relative to most middle-class Americans I don't really have that much stuff to start with. But its still too much. Why do I own so many DVDs? I haven't re-watched many in years but I store them alphabetically on shelves in my house. Why do I have so many coffee cups? Who the heck do I expect over for a cuppa? Everytime I try to put away the few cups we actually use, I have to deal with the ones that live permanently in my cabinet. Why do I still have earrings I bought in the mid-nineties but haven't worn in years? Why are they in my house? Why do I have to own a box for them to live in on my dresser? These things are not my friends, but I make such room for them. This has to end. Keep reading here for more on my movement for less. Ooo! And maybe some pictures!!!

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow... your DVDs are alphabetized? I just unpacked a box of books and the best I could do was throw them on the shelf. I was amused that somehow Howard Stern made it next to Miss Manners. Perhaps there's something to careless organization?

Anyhoo... I hear you about having too much stuff. Eleven years ago I had a studio apartment and I was determined to become a minimalist. Two kids, two cars and three moves later, I'm just happy to be able to have most of my stuff in some sort of logical place. Except when its not.

Having a virtual cuppa with you...

Shannon said...

Oooh, I'm looking forward to reading more about your movement for less. As someone who only just discarded a pair of MC Hammer balloon pants I hadn't worn since the '80s, I could benefit from your insights. :)

DAN BUCK said...

I'm studying Simplicity this week with a small group of man-friends. And in my effort at less this week, all I've really achieved is less sleep.

(Thanks to my theatre man-friends Antonin, Berthold, Jones, and Jortner)

DTB said...

Dan--
We chatted for a moment about "less" when one already has little (stuff, money, etc.). I thought about that after you walked away. How about finding ways to make less....

worry
gossip
waste
cheap shots at others
cheap shots at yourself

FYI: This a list for ME but I thought you might find it interesting anyway.

WI_Dilettante said...

Of course, this movement for less is often more effective if you have the assistance and support of those you love. And those who love you enough to tell you it's time for the MC Hammer pants to go.